Wednesday, December 19, 2007

A First Glimpse Down The Rabbit Hole

Greetings and salutations Earthling vermin. You have stumbled upon the wizard Arilou's first blog post. Aren't you a lucky fella? I'm sure you're thinking I'm out of my mind for making a blog and you would be right, but I talked it over with the voices in my head and we thought a blog dedicated to some of my work in Wyvern might be of interest to two or three of you out there.

Now, I of course have a policy against sharing details about future projects of mine as I have found that doing so only gets people overly excited and then they are really let down when I don't finish it for three or four years and instead jump to one of a dozen other projects I have going at any given time. So, there won't be much of that here (but from time to time I may post a screenshot or two of something interesting that doesn't give away much of anything..."Yay," is what I'm sure you're all saying right now in not at all sarcastic tones).

What this blog will instead focus on is existing content. Specifically I was thinking that whenever I release a new area I could then hop on here within the next few days and discuss some of my thoughts and ruminations on what I had just completed while also responding to some of your questions and general comments. Of course, given that I'm a generally lazy fellow, I don't release an area that often so if, as a member of the Arilou fan club, you were hoping to read my brilliance on a regular basis I am ever so sorry to disappoint. But please, try not to shed tears over this news. I'd like to say I'm not worth it, but we all know that just isn't true, so actually, yeah, go ahead and cry your little hearts out as I am sure each and every one of you are doing at this very moment.

That said, we'll see where this goes. It might evolve into something entirely different or, more likely, I'll get bored and forget this stupid thing exists. In the meantime, I was thinking that every month I would pick one site from my list ( not yet compiled ) that promotes Wyvern and post it here while asking you to review/vote for Wyvern on that particular site above all else. This way instead of trying to get people to go through every one of a dozen sites, you guys can promote Wyvern on a new one each month and in the process attract different types of people who frequent that particular site. This way Wyvern's name is out there more and the type of people who are coming to the game become more diverse. Especially now, in light of the hit the playerbase took after such a long downtime, I hope you people try and take a few seconds out of your day to support this. Well actually I couldn't care less, I just thought it would be a nice thing to do for you people since none of you would be able to promote this as well as I could and most of you want a thriving community again. But that's neither here nor there, just like it's neither here nor there that I enjoy to eating a nice, plump human for dinner every now and then.

Moving right along... for this month, I thought I'd start out by giving a special mention to Arcadepod since it was what introduced me to Wyvern. I was just browsing through it one day and saw this game called, well you know, that advertised being able to make areas for the game without needing to be a coder and, intrigued, I came right over and long story short, about a week and a half later I was a wizard. So anyway, think about clicking on the link and giving Wyvern a good 5 star review. If enough of you do it, it will shoot up in the ranks and become more visible to the people over there. But also, if you take the time to make a well written review that makes the game sound interesting, people checking the comments will come to the game just based on that where as they may avoid it if it's filled with a bunch of brief aol speech reviews that say absolutely nothing of value. Anyway, as always, do not spam the site in your zeal over wanting Wyvern to do well. One good review per person is quite enough.



Games at ArcadePod.com
Review Wyvern

Wyvern is a massively multiplayer online RPG written in 100% java. It runs on...



Review Wyvern


And with that I bid you all farewell. Later on; "Inside the disturbed mind of Arilou," I think I'll post some old screenshots of the awfulness that were Forgotten Oak's first maps since I will have been a wizard for 5 years as of mid January and I figured what better way to mark the passing time than to berate myself. I just have to dig through my old email archives to determine the exact date that I became a wizard back in January of '03 and then you get to be blessed with another blog post from yours truly. I know, I can barely suppress my joy as well. But, for the sake of the children, we absolutely must try.

Of course, I'd much rather sacrifice the little brats in hopes of getting a decent harvest next year, but the pesky government tells me I can't do that. Something about laws and angry parents. Oh how I miss the days when parents would let you sacrifice their first born in exchange for a pig and some stale bread. Meanwhile, the law could care less so long as the brat wasn't of noble blood. Now those were the days. Unfortunately people today make a big stink for nothing about trying to cut the beating heart out of some peasant child and it's truly a damn sham... what's that? Too far? *walks off grumbling about mortal swine... in a nice sort of way*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Arilou, starting some activity over Wyvern again! I hope it's back soon; try not too post too many screenshots unless you want slobber all over your blog, by the way.

Anonymous said...

Hrm, where is the ranting? And good to see all this activity...gives me hope. Now you best keep it up, boy. I want to see lots of new areas from you, you understand me?

Note that there is too many Review Wyvern boxes.